Wednesday 30 March 2016

My thoughts on the online speech-based assignment

 
For my first news package in my third-year new media class, we had to do an assignment based on online speeches. 

The assignment was not meant to be difficult that much I got but the thing is that it had so many elements to it that needed loads of time and almost all my attention. The assignment would have been nothing but fun for me had I not had to do most of it during my one week Easter holiday.

All I wanted to do these holidays was chill and focus on trying to find an internship but instead, there was no time to relax. If I even tried to just spend a day curled up with a good book that I had been meaning to read for a month now I would literally feel guilty for neglecting my work.   

So instead of reading my book I read over the speech after spending two hours watching it. I paused it a few times just to make sure I was still awake, but the speech was nice. I really got to understanding it when I read it. I figured out what it was about and then got to writing the news article. 

Some of the challenges were taking a speech done in 2013 and trying to make it newsworthy now by choosing a new, fresh angle. Creating a poll was also a little challenging because figuring out a close ended question was not easy and also deciding where exactly I wanted to post my poll took some time. There was also a lot of stress over whether people would get involved in the poll or just ignore it and move on to more fun things especially because it was on Facebook which I never use.

The fun part came when everything was coming together and I got ready to email it to my lecturer. I always think I can do better on all my assignments so I had the same feeling two minutes before handing this one in but of course, I was out of time to make any changes.  
http://ircmentorcollaborative.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Time-Management-image.jpg

Assignments always carry the same lesson for me, which is that I cannot get through life doing things in the last minute. Time management was essential for this assignment to be done well, as it is with all other assignments. 

For the next news package, I plan to start very early so that I have enough time to do all the elements involved with it. Nothing will be done last minute so as to avoid any sloppiness, but to be honest I make the same promise to myself after every assignment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment